“Under the rule of the Chinese Communist Party, China has made it very clear that their objective is to replace the U.S. as the world’s dominant player – and that they intend to break rules to achieve that goal,” Senator Romney said. “These amendments will help the U.S. craft a clear strategy which encourages the CCP to change their behavior or face meaningful consequences. One of my amendments requires a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics in response to China’s ongoing human rights abuses. We must to come together with our allies and the free nations of the world if we are going to be successful in our effort to counter China.”
Amendments authored by Senator Romney:
- Mandating a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Beijing Olympics in light of the Chinese Communist Party’s ongoing human rights abuses, including the Uyghur genocide. Co-sponsored by Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) and Ed Markey (D-MA).
- Deterring China from using force against Taiwan by pressing the administration and allies develop and coordinate significant consequences China should expect if it uses force.
- Reaffirming U.S. policy that Tibetan Buddhists should have the religious freedom to choose the next Dalai Lama, despite Chinese claims that they get to choose the next Dalai Lama, and encouraging allies to adopt a similar policy.
- Calling for information sharing with Taiwan at the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Directing the Department of State to consult with close allies regarding the newly mandated intellectual property violators list.
- Combatting Chinese propaganda by directing Voice of America to review opportunities to expand content about the United States, including news, culture, and values.
- Urging the U.S. to prepare for China’s retaliation against U.S. sanctions.
Amendment cosponsored with Senator Cruz, Senator Barrasso, and Senator Rubio:
- Affirming that the Chinese Communist Party is committing genocide against the Uyghur people.