I have the honor and privilege to recommend some of Utah’s finest men and women to attend the United States Military Academies. Our office is accepting applications from Utah students who are seeking a nomination to the United States Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, Merchant Marine Academy, or the Military Academy at West Point. The U.S. Coast Guard Academy does not require a congressional nomination. Appointments are made on the basis of a nationwide selection process.
Each applicant for a nomination from our office must meet the following eligibility requirements:
• Must be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday on July 1 of the year they wish to be admitted (25 for the Merchant Marine Academy).
• Must be a U.S. Citizen, and a permanent resident of Utah.
• Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
Academy and Nomination Procedures
Students interested a nomination should contact our Salt Lake City office in the spring of their junior year of high school to begin the application process. Prior to applying for a nomination from our office, you must start by contacting your academy or academies of choice to request a pre-candidate questionnaire. Once completed and returned, the academy will apprise you of any special physical, medical, or academic requirements particular to their institution.
To start the application process, fill out our office’s online application.
An applicant’s nomination packet must include:
• Completed online application
• Official high school/college transcript
• SAT/ACT scores
• List of 2023-2024 senior year classes (current class list if currently attending college)
• 4 letters of recommendation (including a letter from your high school principal or guidance counselor)
• High school principal or guidance counselor
• Core academic teacher
• Utah resident (2)
This application for a service academy nomination and all other required submissions must be received or postmarked no later than October 20, 2023. Please keep this in mind especially in regard to the required recommendations, which can often take the longest to arrive. Late applications will not be considered. If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact my Salt Lake City office at (801) 524-4380. Please do not call regarding updates on application status.
Get started with your application here.
Air Force Academy
2304 Cadet Drive, Suite 2400
USAF Academy, CO 80840
Merchant Marine Academy
300 Steamboat Road
Kings Point, NY 11024-1699