“Under the rule of the Chinese Communist Party, China has made it very clear that their objective is to replace the U.S. as the world’s dominant player—and that they intend to break rules to achieve that goal,” Senator Romney said. “These amendments will help the U.S. pressure the CCP to change their behavior or face meaningful consequences. One of my amendments requires a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Winter Olympics in response to China’s ongoing human rights abuses. We must to come together with our allies and the free nations of the world if we are going to be successful in our effort to counter China, and I applaud the Senate for taking a strong step in the right direction to do that.”
Senator Romney’s amendments included in the Endless Frontier Act:
- Mandating a diplomatic boycott of the 2022 Beijing Olympics in light of the Chinese Communist Party’s ongoing human rights abuses, including the Uyghur genocide.
- Directing the U.S. Trade Representative to enter negotiations with our allies to stop the importation of goods made with stolen intellectual property into the U.S. and allied countries.
- Deterring China from using force against Taiwan by pressing the administration and allies to develop and coordinate the significant consequences China should expect if it uses force.
- Reaffirming U.S. policy that Tibetan Buddhists should have the religious freedom to choose the next Dalai Lama, despite Chinese claims that they get to choose the next Dalai Lama, and encouraging allies to adopt a similar policy.
- Calling for information sharing with Taiwan at the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- Directing the Department of State to consult with close allies regarding the newly mandated intellectual property violators list.
- Combatting Chinese propaganda by directing Voice of America to review opportunities to expand content about the United States, including news, culture, and values.
- Urging the U.S. to prepare for China’s retaliation against U.S. sanctions.